Organized in 1898, Evanston Golf Club is a private facility that features an 18-hole golf course that was designed by Donald Ross.
Evanston Golf Club has had four homes, its first in north Evanston. In 1899 it moved to west Evanston on an 80-acre site that included nine holes plus a five hole auxiliary course.
Distance of the nine-hole course was 2,935 yards. One imposing hazard was the Chicago & North Western Railroad tracks. In particular, the second and fourth holes required lofted shots to clear the slightly elevated railway. Club members who comprised the greens committee laid the course out.
A third locale was found soon after at Ridge near the Wilmette border. Finally, in 1917, the Evanston Golf Club, then under reorganized management, moved to its current site in Skokie.
The club has has several notable members, including William A. Dyche, who was one of Northwestern University’s outstanding alumni and staff members. The University’s Board of Trustees honored Dyche by naming the football stadium after him in 1926.