Established in 1896, Onwentsia Club in Lake Forest, Illinois features an 18-hole, par 71 golf course that was designed by James Foulis.
Along with Chicago Golf Club, no other organization was as influential in shaping the early days of Chicago golf as was Onwentsia Club. Though the the two clubs were geographically separated, they had a strong connection, often staging tournaments or hosting social gatherings at each other’s club.
The bond naturally followed the relationship between its two founders, C.B. Macdonald and Hobart Chatfield-Taylor, who were credited with creating the original seven-hole Lake Forest course, laid out on the lawn of Senator Charles B. Farwell (located where Lake Park is today) in 1893.
While Macdonald soon moved on and formed the Chicago Golf Club at Belmont, Chatfield-Taylor remained in Lake Forest. Mr. Chatfield-Taylor later changed the club name to Onwentsia, which was Iroquois for a meeting place – in the country – of sporting braves and squaws.
Onwentsia went on to host the US Amateur in 1899, which was won by Herbert M. Harriman and the US Open in 1906, which was won by Alex Smith of Scotland.