Medinah Country Club to Host Bears, Packers Rivalry
The rivalry between the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers has now grown from the gridiron to the golf course. On Monday, June 18, current and former players from the Bears and Packers will compete in a Ryder Cup formatted event at Medinah Country Club called the “Rivalry Cup”, with the proceeds going to charity.
The Bears–Packers rivalry began in 1921 and is the NFL’s longest rivalry, with 184 regular-season and post-season games. The two teams have won a combined 22 NFL championships (including 5 Super Bowls) and have 48 members in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
On June 18, representatives from both teams will play Course #3 at Medinah Country Club, the host of the 2012 Ryder Cup, which takes place in September. Each team will feature a combination of current and alumni players competing in both Four Ball and singles matches. Net proceeds from the event will benefit Bears Care, the charitable beneficiary of the Chicago Bears, and the Green Bay Packers Foundation.
A limited number of tickets are available online and will include:
- Walking “inside the ropes” as the players square off against each other in the last four holes of their singles match
- Complimentary beverages (soda, water, beer) out on the golf course while watching the play
- A one-hour reception in the historic Medinah C.C. clubhouse that includes open bar and heavy appetizers
- A one-hour program in the Medinah C.C. ballroom hosted by Jeff Joniak, voice of the Chicago Bears on Newsradio 780 and 105.9 FM, WBBM and Wayne Larrivee, announcer on Newsradio 620 WTMJ’s Green Bay Packers Radio Network.
Currently scheduled to compete:
- Kevin Butler, Super Bowl XX kicker and Bears all-time scoring leader
- Richard Dent, Hall of Fame Defensive End and Super Bowl XX MVP
- Mike Ditka, Hall of Fame Tight End and Super Bowl XX head coach
- Robbie Gould, Pro Bowl kicker and Bears all-time leader in field goal accuracy
- Patrick Mannelly, long snapper and longest tenured Bear in team history
- Adam Podlesh, first punter in team history to net over 40 yards a punt in a season
GREEN BAY PACKERS:
- Mason Crosby, NFL record-holder for the most points (649) by a player within his first five seasons in the league
- Lynn Dickey, quarterback held the franchise all-time single season record for passing yards from 1983-2011 (broken by Aaron Rodgers)
- John Kuhn, standout fullback voted a Pro Bowl starter and earned second-team All-Pro honors from The Associated Press in 2011
- Tim Masthay, ascending punter set franchise records for both gross and net average during the 2011 season
- Bill Schroeder, wide receiver who led all NFC players in yards per reception in 2001; member of Super Bowl XXXI winning team
- Ryan Taylor, finished second among the club’s rookies with both 15 games played and 10 coverage tackles in 2011
- Randy Wright, quarterback ranks sixth in Packers’ history with 7,106 passing yards; started every game for Green Bay in 1986
The Rivalry Cup
Monday, June 18, 2012
Medinah Country Club
6N001 Medinah Road
Medinah, IL 60157
4:00 p.m. – Arrival to Medinah Country Club
4:00-6:00 p.m. – Watch “inside the ropes” as the players finish out their match
6:00-7:00 p.m. – Program
7:00-8:00 p.m. – Reception