Established in 1901 at 95th and Cottage Grove, Calumet Country Club is one of the only publicly accessible Donald Ross designed championship golf courses in greater Chicago. The Club moved to its current location on 160 acres in Homewood, Illinois in 1917.
Before Donald Ross designed the existing 18-hole course in 1921, members originally played three nine-hole courses. Ross also designed nearby Ravisloe Country Club, located in Country Club Hills as well as Old Elm Club in Highland Park and Oak Park Country Club in River Grove.
Golf course architect Edward Lawrence Packard was called upon to redesign the course again when the construction of Interstate 294 chopped off half of the club’s 18 holes.
At the end of 2020, the course closed after being sold to an affiliate of Diversified Partners of Scottsdale, Arizona. However, a prolonged legal battle allowed the course to open to the public in 2021.
The new owner promoted 800,000 square feet of trucking facilities, offering space to store 1,000 trailers. The Cook County Forest Preserve District considered acquiring the course in 2019, but spokesman Carl Vogel said keeping it a golf course would have required a subsidy.
A founding member of the Chicago District Golf Association, Calumet Country Club hosted the 1924 Western Open, which was won by Bill Mehlhorn. The club also hosted the 1945 Chicago Victory Open, won by Byron Nelson, as part of his streak of 11 consecutive victories.
Charles Walgreen Sr, founder of Walgreens, was once a member at Calumet Country Club.