One constant in golf is that we never hit the ball while it’s in motion. Nearly everything else is changing with every shot – distance, lie, slope, wind, and much, much more.
Among the biggest variables in golf are the weather conditions. Heat, humidity, precipitation, cold, wind all change throughout the round, forcing the golfer to constantly adapt.
Sunglasses are a significant tool that we use to help us adapt to conditions. Managing the glare from the sun can be quite a challenge in the mid-day summer heat.
To that end, I recently tested the new Adidas Sport SP0054 Golf Sunglasses. Featuring feather-light polycarbonate lenses that provide high visual definition in all weather conditions, these sunglasses are loaded with the latest technology.
Adidas Sport SP0054 Features
The Adidas Sport SP0054 Sunglasses boast a range of features to help protect against the sun and improve visibility on the golf course:
- Lightweight frame constructed from durable TR90 material, designed to be lightweight yet strong and flexible. TR90 is a lightweight, durable material used in sunglasses frames. It is highly resistant to extreme temperatures and changes in humidity, making it ideal for active lifestyles and sports. It also has excellent flexibility and maintains its shape after being bent or twisted.
- Protective lenses coated with elastomeric surfacing for scratch protection, impact resistance and protecting your eyes.
- Polarized lenses to reduce glare, increasing visibility for enhanced performance. Polarized lenses are optimal for sports, especially golf because they help eliminate glare from reflective surfaces such as water and even slick greens. They also can help increase visual clarity by reducing bright light reflections, as well as improving visibility in hazy or foggy conditions.
- UV protection provides 100% protection from harmful UVA/UVB rays. Protection from UV rays also helps prevent eye fatigue and damage. Studies have shown that UV rays from the sun can cause long-term damage to the eyes, including cataracts, macular degeneration, photokeratitis (inflammation of the eye’s cornea), cancer and other associated ocular diseases.
- Anti-fog technology helps prevent fogging of the lenses while playing in humid conditions or after periods of exertion.
Target Activities for Adidas Sport SP0054
In addition to golf, the Adidas Sport SP0054 Sunglasses are ideal for a range of activities, including:
- Team sports like soccer or basketball
- Skiing and snowboarding
The Adidas Sport SP0054 frames are curved to provide complete protection from the damaging rays of the sun as well as wind. The top of the frame features a nine-hole ventilation system that helps prevent fogging.
A downside of the curve is you’ll need to use the carrying case that is provided to protect your glasses. Unlike less-curved frames, these glasses are a bit too bulky to fit in a pocket.
Unlike many sport sunglasses, the nose pads on these glasses are strong and sturdy. You don’t have to worry the nose pads if the glasses are moving around in your golf cart.
The Adidas Sport SP0054 sunglasses are available in 8 different variants and are an excellent choice for golfers who are looking for a premium pair of sunglasses to manage on-course the elements. With a retail price between $150-$200, this is serious technology that looks great and performs even better. For more Adidas golf eyewear options, check out the SP0067 and SP0070 models.