Located in Urbana, Illinois, Atkins Golf Club at the University of Illinois recently opened to public play after a major renovation. Built in 1999, the former Stone Creek Golf Club was originially designed by architects Dick and Tim Nugent.
In 2020, ownership shifted as The Atkins Family gifted the course and over 300 acres of real estate to the University of Illinois and the University of Illinois Foundation. Included in the gift, which was valued at $15 million, was Stone Creek Golf Club (which has now become Atkins Golf Club at the University of Illinois) and its associated buildings and equipment.
The University of Illinois worked with architect Drew Rogers and Wadsworth Golf Construction on the renovation of the course. Atkins Golf Club will be the home of the Fighting Illini Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams.
Highlights of the Atkins Golf Club at the University of Illinois renovation:
- Full bunker renovation to Better Billy Bunker and pro angle sand. Bunkers were strategically repositioned
- Cored top 3-4″ inches and re-grassed the 18 regulation greens and main practice putting green
- Built a new practice putting green by the pro shop
- Created additional tee boxes, enabling the course to measure over 7,500 yards from the championship tees
- Also created additional front tee boxes on various holes
- Modified fairway lines to accentuate certain features around the golf course
- Improved lakes and bridges
- Enhanced the irrigation system, most noticeably with additional irrigation heads by the greens to better control moisture
- Reseeded practice range teeing area
- Modify starting hole, thus enabling hole 1 and 10 to be right outside the pro shop
- Pro shop renovation and relocation. New location enables pro shop staff to view 6-7 holes from the shop
- Creation of the Illini Men’s and Women’s Golf Team Lounge
- Illini branding around facilities
- Renovated restaurant and special events space
Homegrown Restaurant at the Atkins Golf Club in Urbana is now open for dinner service. The farm-to-table restaurant will open Tuesdays through Saturday from 5-9 p.m. The restaurant is part of the $7 million renovation of the Atkins Golf Club.