Our guest this episode on The Chicago Golf Report podcast is Chris Charnas from Links Capital Advisors, a golf course brokerage firm specializing in golf courses, golf resorts, land sites, and cell towers across the United States. Chris founded Links Capital Advisors in March of 2008 and his experience includes sales, development, financing, feasibility, valuation and consulting on public and private golf courses.
Over his career, Chris has closed on real estate transactions in excess of $400 million of aggregate value. Since June 2019, Links Capital has closed on 20 golf course transactions, more than any other golf course brokerage firm.
Local golf courses that Links Capital Advisors have sold or are in the processing of selling include Antioch Golf Club, Balmoral Woods Golf Club, Bull Valley Golf Club, Calumet Country Club, Chalet Hills Golf Club, Glen Flora Country Club, Klein Creek Golf Club, Minne Monesse Golf Club, The Links at Carillon (For Sale), and Willow Hill Golf Course.
In this conversation with Chris we discuss:
- How he pivoted from selling warehouses to golf courses for a living
- Why the pandemic led to a new golden era for the golf business
- The factors that are limiting business growth for golf courses
- How TopGolf has re-written the rules for golf facilities
- The trends impacting how people prefer to play golf
- Why so many golf courses have been recently investing in improving their facilities
- The unwritten formula that top golf courses use to increase their value
- How leading golf course management companies like KemperSports are expanding their reach
- The most important lessons he’s learned from 25+ years in the golf business
- Why purchase of The Links at Carillon will include a snow plow business
- Advice he would give to any golf facility looking to improve their business
- Why Canal Shores Golf Course in Evanston is attracting so much attention
Podcast: Play in new window | Download